Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jam Session with Mamaw Lawson!


As most of you know by know, I fancy myself as one who enjoys canning this time of year.  You may not know, though, that my Mamaw Lawson is pretty much an expert.  Since as long as I can remember, she’s always been making jellies and jams (blackberry is her specialty) and giving them to all of us to enjoy.

This year I decided it was high time I spent some time with her to learn her sweet skills – and of course, just for general memory making.  So I called her one night with my plan and was greeted with an eager response to get cracking! 

I told her I wanted to try to make mint jelly and that I had some peaches we could work on.  And being that her specialty was blackberry jam and jelly, those were on the list, too.

A few days later (and a couple of days before the big canning adventure), I received this voice message.  Now tell me, how could this canning adventure not be perfect?  Here’s what she had to say:

“Hi, Cara – It’s Mamaw, Lawson honey.  Just calling to touch base about Sunday.  You said about 10 o clock, would 11 be OK? That way I can go to church and I’ll be home by 11.  Also wanted to let you know I went out and picked my mint and I’m going to cook it down and then we’ll make jelly out of the juice, OK?  OK got everything ready other than that and I’ll see you at about 11 o’clock on Sunday.  Love you, bye.”

I am so lucky.  What a wonderful Mamaw I have!  The canning day arrived, and here’s the run down!

Here my car is packed and ready for the journey to Ripley.  Supplies included Ohio peaches, a canner, camera and cook books.

We made mint jelly first.  It was sweet and delicious – and mighty colorful!  This is my Mamaw filling some jars with the lovely concoction.


Next we moved on to the peaches.  Last year I had some major issues peeling these monsters, but not this time!  Soak away, my little beauties!
  

I was so shocked at how well these peaches peeled and turned out.  Thank goodness Mamaw gave me awesome tips!


Here are our treasures from the day.  A little bit of everything!


Thanks for a wonderful day, Mamaw.  I am so glad we got to can together!  Can’t wait for the next time!  And thank you, Papaw, for taking this pic, digging out jars from the barn and for giving general encouragement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment