Sunday, December 11, 2016

Ode to Haiku (the sushi restaurant)

So now that I have written this, I have to admit I feel a little insane dedicating a blog post to sushi!  But whatever, because it's Columbus history (kind of) and it's a goodie.

I BEGIN:

I think the first time I tried sushi, it was at Haiku.  Working downtown back in the day provided many opportunities to explore the restaurants up and down High Street (I never really have been very good at packing my own lunch), so I eventually found my love of sushi snacks. 

Haiku was a fave.  There were papers provided to write haiku poems, plus a variety of rolls for all tastes.  A favorite of friends and I was the harvest roll – which was basically not sushi and was pretty much just fried sweet potato and cream cheese wrapped in rice, lol.

In honor of Haiku’s soon to be (probably) restaurant obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, I offer this work.

Ode to Haiku.

Haiku was a place –
For us to go for yum yums.
Harvest roll was great –
And so was everything else.

Parking was on site –
A real treasure in Cbus.
Lovely patio –
Which was good for drinking drinks.

By now it has closed –
For a new high rise that will –
Be built on its land.
Haiku will be remembered.

The end.

OK, so basically I like to write haiku poems, too.  Because it will be greatly missed, Abby, John, Andrew and I met there for one last plate of sushi.

Soon to be something else from a fancy developer (I think).

Site of many a summer drinkie drink.

My BFF Abby and I are never too tired for sushi night! LOL! 

Thankfully, John created a killer sushi order for all of us.  Andrew - sorry if your eyes are closed in this pic.  

We will never forget.

Haiku poetry left behind by guests.

And then we got some Jeni's ice cream.  Matterhorn and sweet potato something.  It was freezing cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment