Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Perfect Stuffing Recipe + A Poached Egg!

A few days off at Christmas allowed me to experience two culinary successes.  These two victories were especially great, because I had wanting to conquer these two items for some time!

The Perfect Stuffing Recipe

So I have to thank friends of friends for this achievement.  Some friends of ours hosted Thanksgiving in their home this year and it was there that I had the most fantastic scoop of stuffing that I had tasted possibly ever (OK – Mamaw Lawson’s stuffing will always be #1, but since I don’t think I can ever replicate it, I needed something of my own).  The chefs said it was from Smitten Kitchen – a cookbook that I just happened to have in my collection!  

Since I was more than a little tipsy as this Thanksgiving soiree, I worried it might not taste the same to a partly sober mer.  But - holy crap was it good.  After it was out of the oven, I kept picking at it.  And mom told me to leave it alone.  I told her I couldn’t because it was f*cking good. LOL.  Luckily we were both buzzed so it was hilarious.

Here’s the recipe and some pics.

This is before it cooked.  I was so busy eating after it came out of the oven, I didn't take any pics.

If this doesn't look like a fine midwestern Christmas dinner (also kind of like Thanksgiving) I don't know what does.
A Poached Egg

There isn’t much better than a perfectly cooked (which in my opinion is kind of over cooked) poached egg atop some brunchy delight.  This culinary task has intimidated me for quite some time.  However, the time had come to try it out.

I brought some water and a splash of vinegar to a high simmer and gave it a swirl with the spoon.  Using a farm fresh egg from the chickens just out back, I dropped it in the water.  So that didn’t work.  Out the door to the dog.

Part two went a little better.  I basically did the same thing, but added some confidence.  Voila!

The first egg I ever poached sitting atop a creation of a hawaiian roll, sweet potatoes and prosciutto medley.  Thanks chickens!


Overall it was a great holiday.  And here is a classic from a few weeks ago - a lovely 2 story tall blow up Rudolph in Upper Arlington.  #housegoals.



No comments:

Post a Comment