Monday, January 10, 2011

A Souper Day (plus scones)

Even though my kitchen is only the size of a large closet, it definitely packs a punch and allows me to cook lots of yummy foods and try new recipes all the time!  And despite the fact that I have no dishwasher, I like to cook at least one or two “from scratch” recipes per week.

Recently, I was really craving a taste that I experienced during my time in Charleston, South Carolina last June. I was traveling by myself at the time so I opted to stay in and enjoy dinner in the Charleston Marriott’s restaurant.   Weary from traveling that day (from our posh villa at Hilton Head Island to the Charleston Tea Plantation, to Firefly Distillery and then to Boone Hall Plantation), I opted for Curried Carrot Soup and a flatbread. 

Maybe it was my fatigue or hunger, but it was one of the most amazing and satisfactory meals I can remember.  Ever since then, I have been looking for a similar carrot curry coconut soup recipe that I could make at home.

I found one recently and prepared it a few days ago.  It was good, but of course it was not the same.  One thing that could have caused the OK, but not great effect, was that as usual, I forgot to read the whole recipe.  By the way, sometimes I forgot to read other things, too, haha.  Instead of using canned coconut milk, I used organic coconut milk from a box.  Healthier, but not as tasty.  Overall, the soup was OK, but I will probably not make it again.

My Warther French Chef's Knife, Choppie, is always a goodie.
The soup had to simmer with its multiple ingredients for a long time.  And the spoon turned yellow.
The finished soup.  Pureed and topped with coconut (non-toasted and quickly sinking).
I also made some delicious scones from one of Marilou Suszko’s recipes that I tested for her last year.  I love the cheese (cream cheese and feta) and saltiness of these little dandies.  Additionally, the green onions bring a lot of color and just make them very pretty to serve and enjoy.

Extra bright scone dough - I need to change my flash settings, but you get the picture, #harharhar. 
The scones fresh from the oven!  What beautes!
Through it all, I am thoroughly enjoying  creating foods of all kinds with my Warther knives.  Though I only have three so far, I am sure I will get another to add to my collection this year.  These Ohio made beauties feature power, stability, comfort and efficiency. 

Now I’m going back to my little kitchen.  A full sink (or zink as they say in New Orleans) of dishes, plus some overflow on the counter await. 

No comments:

Post a Comment