Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Hijinx


I hope everyone had a fabulous Halloween – it’s one of my favorite holidays.  What’s not to love?  Candy, awesome costumes, parties, drinks – all some of my favorite things.

Today I decided it would be good to reflect on some of my favorite costumes through the years.  Now don’t get me wrong, I definitely had some “off” years such  as a hershey’s kiss, western witch (what the crap, right), devil farmer (again, lame) and little Edie from Grey Gardens (which would have been cool if people had heard of Grey Gardens – I was mistaken for a crazy cat lady, which is kind of related I guess).

I think I pretty much went as a princess from grades K – 5.  After that is when some of the costume fails listed above occurred.  Anyway, on to some of my faves.

We’ll start with the most recent.  This year, I went as a voodoo doll.  I love New Orleans and enjoy the mystery of voodoo (don’t freak out, I’m not like a devil worshipper, etc etc) and the culture that goes along with it.

I was at first going to go as Julia Child, but that seemed too easy.  Thus, the voodoo concept was born.

Meet the inspiration for my costume -- my sometimes cranky voodoo doll.
I took her along to JoAnn's to reference while buying supplies and her head
like seriously started popping off (in anger I think) -- more white pin!

This part is quite shocking.  I was able to restitch my sash without a major sewing machine melt down.

Here's a bird's eye view of my hair. 

And here's the whole ensemble!  Features -- tutu featuring mardi gras colors,
black and white pins, a little pouch for treasures, giant hair, crazy makeup.
And now onto some other faves from years gone by.

2011 - Cigarette Girl
2010 - Alice in Wonderland


2009 - Costume fail as Little Edie from Gray Gardens. No photos, haha.

2008 - 1950s Housewife


I pretty much didn't do Halloween costumes from 1995 - 2007 so I guess I'm making up for it now.  But, here is one last treasure from my youth.


1990 - Little Bo Peep.  My mom made me take the puppet.
Happy Halloween!! Can't wait for next year already!

1 comment:

  1. those are good! next year i'm going to step up the game!

    ReplyDelete