Sunday, October 28, 2012

We Can Can! Part 2 of 3



My sister friends Abby and Lindsey love to can, too.  They are basically can-iacs, so we work pretty well together.  This year, we did several different things in our approximately 12 hour canning spree but spent the majority of time doing peaches.  Linds picked the peaches up from Branstools, (pretty sure anyway) and they sure were real nice.

I was thrilled when the jam turned out.  One time we tried to do strawberry jam and didn’t follow the recipe closely (big mistake).  We kind of go something more like strawberry gel / sauce. 

Peach jam photo session.

The peach jam is awesome over cream cheese.  It will be great to break out for Pinterest nights, work birthday parties when I don’t feel like cooking, or pretty much anytime I want a delightful snack.

We also canned some peaches.  My favorite trick here --- drop the peaches in some boiling water for a few minutes so the skins will come off more easily.  It’s about the only way to go, people.   The peaches floated to the tops of the jars again this year.  Someday I figure out how to stop this nuisance. 

I see them floatin' I hate it (you know, like to the tune of Ridin' Dirty).
Even though they float, the taste is not affected - they are still awesome.

Thanks Abby and Lindsey (and their mom Mae) for a fun day!  Can with your friends! 

On an additional note, I need to finish a peach themed cross stitching project.  Better get on that!




1 comment:

  1. One way to avoid floating peaches is to (as my granny would say) "hot pack" them; that is to heat them before putting in jars. I've done it a time or two, and it does help.

    I've sure enjoyed the canning adventures, and laughing, laughing, and laughing some more with you girls! Mae

    ReplyDelete