Monday, October 29, 2012

We Can Can! Part 3 of 3


Later in the season I visited home and basically took the rest of the tomatoes from my Mom and Dad’s.  Since Mom was pretty much done canning, I was glad to take the remaining tomatoes back to the Cbus.

I had about 6 pounds to work with, not a lot, but enough to make a few jars for sure.  I decided to make some tomato jam, as I was inspired by my friend Leah Curtis who told me of her love for the oddity.  I highly respect Leah for many reasons, but really value her tips and advice when it comes to cooking and food.  She’s a natural!  So anyway, she told me stories of egg sandwiches with tomato jam and how the tasty treat was basically one of her favorite things.

Leah was right.  Tomato jam is the bomb.  I used the recipe from Food in Jars and it was prefect.  Some of my favorite days are when I can spend the whole day in the kitchen canning.  The tomato jam simmered pretty much all day before being put in jars.  The recipe caught me a little off guard at first since no peeling or anything but coring was required.  But hey, less work, so score!

Here are my pretties.  These may be my MVJs (most valuable jars) this season.

If you have a few tomatoes, make this stuff.  I have already been through 2 jars and am practically hoarding it!  Tomato jam is an egg's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment