Monday, October 22, 2012

Keep on Cooking!


If you’ve seen this blog before or know me at all, you’ll know that the recipes I prepare usually rock or suck.  In the summer, I thought any cooking skills I had were vanishing as everything I tried to make ended up as an epic fail (black eyed pea dip, macaroni and crab, etc).  You can imagine my discouragement. 

But, I think I’m getting back on track!  Most things I’ve made the past month or so have turned out deliciously.  Here is a list of the things I have learned that will hopefully help cut back on recipe fails moving forward:

1 – Read the recipe fully.  Don’t skim it.

2 – If not quite sure what an ingredient is, look it up on the google.  For example, processed cheese loaf is NOT cream cheese.  I learned this the hard way.  FYI, processed cheese loaf is supposedly Velveeta. 

3 – Don’t make substitutions - ESPECIALLY when it comes to spices.

4 – If an ingredient sounds gross, add it anyway.  Follow the recipe.

5 – Use trusted sources for recipes.  I love Pinterest and all, but some of the recipes I’ve made from there are not quite right.

6 – This kind of goes along with lesson number one, but before you start making the recipe, make sure you have all of the crap required for it.  The lack of following this rule may lead to substitutions, which can lead to fails.

7 – Make sure you have the equipment needed to prepare a recipe.  For example, pimento cheese cannot be smoothly processed with a fork.  For serious.

Moral of the story, if you have a recipe fail, keep trying.  Don’t be afraid to try the recipe again if you know what you screwed up.  I believe in you!

And I leave you with this treasure:


2 comments:

  1. i'm dying. i thought #6 was going to be my favorite until i read #7. now it's a tie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I am glad you like the list, Emily! It was surprisingly easy for me to compile, which can be attributed to my multiple cooking fails this year!

      Delete